Monday, August 24, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
Max and I put our snorkeling gear to work yesterday in an attempt to check out our broken pool light. It was working when we moved in, but has since then stopped turning on which leaves us with a dark pool at night. First, my safety-conscious future-husband turned off the power outside and then disconnected the wiring to the light. Next, Max went underwater and unscrewed the base to remove a waterproof light housing connected by insulated wire. Further examination (opening the light) revealed that the inside was a-okay (dry and intact) so the connection was our problem. Max concluded that a completely new light fixture with new wiring should do just the trick.
This is when I got to jump in and help by going underwater to the space where the light goes in (we discovered it’s called the “niche”) to read and report the sticker with the model number we would need for a new light!
Max finished with more underwater maintenance screwing the old (non-functioning) light back in. We are now on the lookout for a brand new light fixture and are looking forward to more home projects together!